Friday, December 23, 2011

Why is it bad news always comes in the middle of the night?

Tom & Barb Emmitt

Why is it bad news always comes in the middle of the night? Not that any time is a "good time" for such news. But a phone call at 2 am to let me know I've lost another family member has a way of disturbing my sleep for days at a time.

I was awakened by not one but three calls from a sister and a brother, both calling to let me know that our elder brother had lost his life in a roll-over accident while returning his truck to the Fed Ex lot in Traverse City, MI. (He and his wife were both in the truck - she survived; he didn't.)

Tom and I had our problems and disagreements. What pair of siblings doesn't? But we also had the one thing that kept us together - our love for each other and our mutual love for our siblings, cousins, neices, nephews and on down the family line.

RIP Tom Emmitt.

1 comment:

  1. A quick 'update' and corrections.
    It was not a FedEx truck - they no longer worked at FedEx. And they had already returned the company truck to the lot and were on the way home to Grayling in their personal vehicle when the accident happened.
    I did manage to make it to Grayling for the funeral - two and a half days on Greyhound. Only delays on the bus trip happened on the way home, after my cell phone battery died so I couldn't call Ken to let him know I would be arriving later than scheduled. (some of the buses had electrical hook ups for charging of cell phones and other things, but not the last two!)

    ReplyDelete